- Facility VOG
- Doctor Dr. Dennis Lin
- Service Cataract Evaluation
- Location Monterey Par, CA
WHAT IS A CATARACT?
Cataract is clouding of the lens inside the eyes that affects vision. Symptoms include blurred vision, glare, and decreased contrast. There are different types of cataracts and different causes. However, the most common cause of catracts is due to aging and long exposure to ultraviolet rays. Cataracts can be treated with surgery.
WHO IS AT RISK FOR CATARACT?
The risk of cataract increases as you get older. Other risk factors for cataract include:
- Certain diseases such as diabetes.
- Personal behavior such as smoking and alcohol use.
- The environment such as prolonged exposure to sunlight.
- Prolonged steroid use
- Trauma and injury to the eye
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF A CATARACT?
The most common symptoms of a cataract are:
- Cloudy, foggy, misty, or blurry vision.
- Colors seem faded and washed out. Contrast is decreased.
- Glare from light sources. Headlights, lamps, or sunlight will be more intense. A halo or rainbow of colors may appear around lights at night time.
- Poor or decreased night vision.
- Double vision or ghost images.
- Fluctuation in your eyeglass or contact lens prescription.
- These general symptons can also be a sign of other eye problems. If you have any of these symptoms, please check with your nearest eye care professional.